Thursday, December 31, 1970

A little bit of exposure began in Standard 1

Started me on a great adventure of stage life. I had my first taste of being on stage when I was in Standard 1 (first year of primary school) as it is known here in Malaysia. Although at the age of 7, I couldn't possibly be appointed emcee, I recollect my first stage exposure being really entertaining for me. Sadly I don't have any photographs of the sketch in which I was one of the reciters for the nursery rhyme "The Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe". You know the rhyme

There was an old woman
Who lived in a shoe
She had so many children
She didn't know what to do.
She gave them some broth
Without any bread
And whipped them all soundly
And sent them to bed



I wonder if rhymes from my time are still being taught in schools? Any hoot, I still remember my teacher getting our help to build the "shoe-house" out of cardboard boxes. Memory is hazy, but there's the odd snippet still hiding in my mind. I remember my "motherly" friend being the Old Woman (cos she had the build for it; and another mischievous friend being the imp of the brood).

Anyway, I think I must have enjoyed the rush of being on stage because I was never shy of being hauled up for front of class stuff.